At Summer Camp, counselors make the difference
When you think of “Camp,” what images float through your mind? The outdoors, games, crafts, s’mores? More than anything else, what makes Summer Camp fun and special are the people. Staff create the safe, fun, engaging atmosphere that impact campers. Over and over, the answer to the question, “What is your camper’s favorite memory about camp?” is, “Counselors.”
Camp leadership recognize the sacred trust we are extended by the parents of campers. Parents want their children to have a safe and enriching experience that makes a lasting difference in their lives.
Summer Camp preparation begins with proper staff selection and training. Here are some basic points about what we do to choose the very best people and train them well:
- Paid staff are always 18 years or older and graduated from high school.
- Prospective staff members complete an extensive application including four independent references.
- Applicants are interviewed in person or via Skype.
- National background checks are completed before hiring.
- Staff receive online training prior to arrival and a full week of on-site training prior to the start of Camp.
- Training includes a child protection plan, safety, first aid/CPR as well as activity-specific training.
- Throughout summer, daily staff meetings and weekly debriefings help keep staff sharp throughout the summer.
Our goal is to hire bright, dedicated young people who love God and kids. The staff make all the difference in the quality of experience for a camper. We want the campers’ fondest memories to be of their counselor and other staff who took care of them and loved them unconditionally.