Focusing on God
So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
James 4:7 NLT
Have you ever found yourself caught up in an argument or defending a position that you really don’t have deep convictions about, and yet, you still argue away with others?
Have you ever focused only on achieving pleasure at the expense of doing what is right and best for you?
My answer to both questions is YES.
James is writing to anyone who will read and listen that the pursuit of pleasure leads to endless quarrels and arguments that result in all kinds of terrible outcomes towards ourselves and others. Make no mistake about it, this is exactly what Satan is aiming for.
James has an answer to all of this: Humble yourself before God. Resist Satan.
Consider the following:
- Satan leaves when resisted in the strength of Christ.
- God answers those who humble themselves before Him.
- Focus on what pleases God
- Stop the pursuit of pleasure for pleasure’s sake. It will never satisfy beyond a fleeting moment.
- Stop arguing and quarreling over things that do not matter.
- Repent to God for living so selfishly and hurting others in the process.
- Watch God lift you up as you surrender to Him.
Encouragement: Read James 4. Ask God to speak to you personally about your life and His purpose for you. Set aside the pursuit of pleasure and selfish ambitions. Focus on God and His direction in Your life.
Prayer: Dear God, I come to You in repentance right now, recognizing that I can always come up with a plan to get what I want. I am capable of doing this without even thinking of You and Your purpose for my life. Forgive me. I come humbly before You and give You my life. Help me today to be focused on You and Your purposes. Lead me. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.
-Ed McDowell, Executive Director
Warm Beach Camp and Conference Center