Here is the latest news on the Camp’s current projects:
- The new offices and storage space in lower level of Cedar Lodge are nearly finished! Over the next few weeks, we will be moving offices and supplies into the new space. This will vacate the space needed for the new walk-in cooler and freezer. We anticipate the walk-ins will be installed in late August or September. Meanwhile, contractors are developing cost estimates for the CL Chapel renovation project which is slated for next year.
We are obtaining construction permits for phase one of an indoor box stall barn for the vaulting horses. Phase one entails building a pole barn off the north end of the covered riding arena. Phase 2 will follow when funds are available, and will include installation of the actual stalls, water, lighting, and flooring. This project is necessary for providing for the care of these horses.
- The swimming pool liners were replaced ten years ago with a fiberglass product, but now, we are about at the end of the projected lifespan for that product. This spring, we repaired numerous leaks in the large pool. Suddenly, this summer, the small pool’s liner failed and is undergoing emergency repair/replacement. We will be evaluating options for a longer-term pool solution that will eliminate such large-scale sudden maintenance issues.
- Building Permits are now in-hand for construction of two new Chinook Village cabins to serve the Special Friends Overnight Camps. Each cabin will house 18 campers and is designed to accommodate the campers with special needs. A general contractor has volunteered to be construction supervisor and we are obtaining both bids and donation pledges for the work. Provided adequate resources are available, we hope to begin the project this fall.
- A garage near the main entrance is being roofed and receiving new doors. The Nurse’s Cabin will be roofed this summer/fall once we can schedule the needed contractor. The roof has a steep pitch and is not one that our volunteers can safely do.
- A contractor has begun cleaning and treating all of our composition shingle roofs. This will improve the longevity of the roofs and the general appearance of the property.
- This month, volunteers will be painting the exterior of the Program Center.
If you are interested in volunteering to help with any projects, whether you have a few hours or a few days, call Jessica Wilson at 360-312-3417 or email her at email@example.com.