Here is the latest news on the Camp’s current projects:Here is the latest news on the Camp’s current projects:
The new playground equipment has been installed and is in full use. The new commercial-grade playground equipment is designed for children age 5 to 12, and has a capacity of up to 50 youngsters. The equipment includes slides, climbing apparatus, as well as ground level elements that children with mobility challenges can also enjoy. In addition to the new playground, volunteers also added siding to the tall metal canopy that houses the foosball, carpet ball, and ping pong tables. The sides come part-way down and will keep out much of the rain while still allowing in plenty of light.
- The lighting replacement project at the Camp that started in January is about 98% completed. Nearly 3,000 florescent lights in facilities all across the grounds have been replaced with new energy efficient LED’s. This project is part of an efficiency grant from the Snohomish County PUD, and will make a significant difference in the Camp’s energy use.
- All 30 of the rooms and the lobby in Cascadian Lodge have been memorialized in preparation for a major renovation project. Work has already begun in the lobby and hallways. More work is scheduled in the lobby this fall, and the renovation of the sleeping rooms will begin after the first of next year.
- The new sidewalk from Cedar Lodge Chapel to the Program Center has been completed. This replaced an old sidewalk that had badly broken concrete sections, creating a wider sidewalk to the Program Center. It also included the removal of the old snack shop building, and re-positioned the metal picnic pavilion. Landscaping and some park benches will be installed this fall and early next spring.
- A new master water meter has been installed on the line feeding the Warm Beach Senior Community as required by new Washington State Health Department regulations. The private homes on the Camp’s water system have also been metered. This keeps the Camp compliant with the governmental regulations, and allows us to begin charging water rates based on actual usage, which encourages conservation.
- New flooring has been installed in the lobbies of both Glacier and Whistler Mini-Lodges, and the bathroom floors in Glacier have been repaired and new flooring installed. This was a much-needed improvement!
- Painting has recently been completed in the interiors of the W-Bar-B Cabins, Maple Center, and the two Mini-Lodge lobbies. In addition, the exterior doors in Olympic View Lodge, Maple Center, and the Program Center have fresh coats of paint..
- This summer, volunteers have been working in two staff cottages, installing new energy efficient windows, siding, and paint. The work is scheduled to be completed this month. Smaller repairs and upgrades are also being done in a number of offices and staff cottages.
- This fall, we will be wrapping up projects and getting the grounds ready for The Lights of Christmas.
If you are interested in volunteering to help with any projects, whether you have a few hours or a few days, call Faith Oates at (360) 761-1267 or send her an email.