January is a transition month between The Lights of Christmas Festival and our winter/spring retreat season. Here’s what is happening this winter:
- The Lights of Christmas scenes, sets, and décor are going back into storage and the grounds are being restored for winter retreats.
- Cascadian Lodge remodeling has begun! The facility is receiving insulation, noise reduction, new fixtures, carpet, furniture, and interior décor.
- The Stables will have cross-ties installed, providing improved safety and covered space for tacking up horses.
- Automatic door openers will be installed on at least one set of doors in the Program Center, Maple Center, and Cedar Lodge. This will enhance accessibility for those with mobility challenges.
- Tree thinning will occur in areas that need more understory planted later this spring.
- Whistler Mini-Lodge will receive upgrades to the meeting room and remodeling of one of the bathrooms.
- Metal roofs, sidewalks, mini-golf, pool, and tennis courts will receive power wash cleaning.
- Landscape maintenance such as pruning and cleaning the beds will occur in February and March so that beauty bark can go down before the weeds start pushing up.
- Planning is underway for a new cabin in Chinook Village and possible road paving that may occur over the next couple years.
Interested in volunteering?
Whether you have a few hours or a few days, your help is appreciated! Contact Faith Oates, Volunteer Coordinator, (360) 761-1267 or email email@example.com.
Interested in donating?
If you are interested in supporting the projects financially, donate online or contact Jeannie Patterson, Administrative Assistant: 360-312-4984 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall is a time of year in which we wrap up summer projects and begin to prepare for The Lights of Christmas. Work currently underway includes:
- New flooring for Warner House has been laid. The next area to receive new flooring will be the Cedar Lodge entryways.
- Following The Lights of Christmas, the remainder of the storage containers in the maintenance yard will be re-positioned for more usable storage space. Efficiently designed storage is very important to the stewardship of The Lights of Christmas.
- At the stables, worn out corral fencing is being replaced this fall. As time, volunteers, and donations allow, we would like to add loafing sheds to some of the horse corrals that would allow the horses to be under cover some of the time. Plus, we will be adding cross-ties to the interior of the barn. Cross-ties create wider spaces for campers to work around their horses. These projects are on-going throughout the winter.
- New road signs are installed thus improving ease of navigation around the grounds.
- This month, the roads are receiving new gravel and grading that will allow for better driving and walking experience during The Lights of Christmas.
- November is the month in which most of the outdoor scenes and sets are erected. We can always use more help Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm in putting up tents, artwork, the nautical scene, the ponds, gnomes, and more.
- Wonderland (Mt Cabin) area is receiving a thematic makeover which will take two years to accomplish. Phase one includes new lighted elements and design touches to the Mt Cabins. Wonderland is a new holiday fairy tale area.
If you are interested in volunteering to help with any projects, whether you have a few hours or a few days, call Faith Oates at (360) 761-1267 or email her at email@example.com.Add a comment
Here is the latest news on the Camp’s current projects:
- The new sidewalk from Cedar Lodge Chapel to the Program Center has been completed. Landscaping and park benches add to the beauty and peacefulness of the surroundings.
- New flooring is scheduled this fall for the Abbot Cabin, Warner House, and the entryways of Cedar Lodge Lobby.
- Storage containers are being re-arranged in the maintenance yard in order to provide increased parking for The Lights of Christmas. This project will continue into 2018.
- A new staff cottage received a new roof and other structural and cosmetic improvements.
- Work is underway on upgrades to The Lights of Christmas. A new fairy tale theme area will be taking shape over the next couple of years.
- New and improved road signage made its appearance this summer. Work is underway to complete this improvement in time for The Lights of Christmas.
- At the stables, new cross-tie stalls are being worked on as volunteers are available. These provide wider spaces for campers to groom and saddle their horses.
If you are interested in volunteering to help with any projects, whether you have a few hours or a few days, call Faith Oates at (360) 761-1267 or email her.Add a comment