Invest in your group
Offsite group retreats are worth it
Retreats, camps and conferences have the common goal of seeing people’s lives positively impacted. Getting out of your normal environment and routine opens the heart and mind to new ideas and relationships. Any experience that dislocates a person from familiar patterns, places, roles and responsibilities, creates space for new learning, renewed inspiration, and perspective.
The most important investment you’ll make in your group is creating the space and time for refreshment, renewal, and re-connection. A successful retreat begins with purpose and goals – desired outcomes. What do you want people to come away with? Information? Understanding? Stronger relationships? Personal renewal? The way you answer these questions will inform not only what you do with the time but where you will go. So, begin with the end in mind.
You’ve probably heard about the importance of “SMART” goals.
S – Specific M – Measurable A – Achievable R – Realistic T – Time Bound
- Goal/Objective. Briefly describe each goal/objective and when it should be accomplished
- Measurement. How will the goal/objective be evaluated?
- Importance. A goal may be essential, important, or simply desirable. Be sure to understand the relative priority placed on an individual goal.
- Consider goals/objectives as desired outcomes for your organization, for your attendees, with respect to personal enrichment, learning, health/safety, financial.
- Take time to write down goals, measurements, and importance.
- Keep the list reasonably short and simple enough to be understood by the whole leadership team.
- Engage your whole leadership team in formulating your event’s purpose and goals.
Once your goals are firmly in mind, program planning and site selection flow with greater purpose and clarity. Understanding your goals also informs your speakers, staff, and site staff as each seek to support your event’s goals. Venue providers want to know what you hope to accomplish so they can put before you the best combination of facilities, meeting spaces, menu options, and activities to help you reach your goals. The more clear your goals become, the more support you find in reaching them.
Invest in your group by spending time clarifying your goals and planning for a successful retreat, camp, or conference. As you look for space to hold your event, search for a facility partner who will place your goals in the center of the discussion. A reliable facility partner makes your goals their goals and brings together all of the available assets to support your program. Off-site events require some work, but they are well worth it in the end.
[quote author=”Event Planner” source=””]“Two hours into our retreat at Warm Beach Camp was more productive than eight hours of meetings back in our normal workplace.” [/quote]
To find out more about Warm Beach Camp and Conference Center rental facilities, contact the Guest Service Department at 800.228.6724 x2275 or check out our website.