Permission to Rest is Granted
This morning, in my time with God by the morning fire, the message was simple and clear: You have been granted permission to rest. Yet, the real challenge for me, and perhaps you too, is to receive and take the rest that has been generously granted to you and me.
Will you take a few minutes to reflect with me on what God has to say about different types of rest?
• For the weary person carrying heavy burdens in life: “Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.””
Matthew 11:28 NLT https://bible.com/bible/116/mat.11.28.NLT
• Jesus will teach us how to live in a way to experience rest for a tired spirit/soul: “Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:29 NLT https://bible.com/bible/116/mat.11.29.NLT
• Even if the biggest seasons of impact, harvest, opportunity, yield, and profit; rest is needed: “You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but on the seventh day you must stop working, even during the seasons of plowing and harvest.” Exodus 34:21 NLT https://bible.com/bible/116/exo.34.21.NLT
• Endless work without rest is useless: “It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones.” Psalms 127:2 NLT https://bible.com/bible/116/psa.127.2.NLT
• “The rhythm of rest includes stepping away from all the people to refuel and refresh: “Then Jesus said, “Let’s go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.” He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn’t even have time to eat.” Mark 6:31 NLT https://bible.com/bible/116/mrk.6.31.NLT
• Reflecting on God’s goodness encourages rest for the soul: “Let my soul be at rest again, for the Lord has been good to me.” Psalms 116:7 NLT https://bible.com/bible/116/psa.116.7.NLT
• Resting in God is part of experiencing being saved by God – yet so often, we reject this: “This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: “Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength. But you would have none of it.”” Isaiah 30:15 NLT https://bible.com/bible/116/isa.30.15.NLT
Permission to rest has been granted to you and me. The question is quite simple: Will you and I act on the permission given to experience rest?
What is each Scripture saying to you about rest today? Share it with someone!
I am guilty of rejecting the rest You offer, while overworking myself in Your name, for Your purposes. I have much to learn from You and Your teaching on living with an approach to life that regularly experiences the rest You promise. Thank You for being a humble and gentle teacher. I am before You in submission as You give me permission to rest as I follow You.
In Your strong name, I pray, Amen.
-Ed McDowell, CEO
Warm Beach Camp Ministries