Temptation – Never From God
And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else.
James 1:13 NLT
Temptation to do things that are not right are common to every one of us. Any temptation that has come your way is not unique to you.
As near as I can tell, temptation has three source points:
- You: Each of us are capable of bringing temptation onto ourselves without the help of anyone else.
- Others: It is predictably common for others to jump into our lives with a bucket load of temptation.
- Satan: He targets us with specific temptation at our most vulnerable spots.
One thing is for sure. Temptation is never from God. This is fantastic news, because whatever the temptation is, we know that God is not messing with us. He isn’t that way.
So, what is to be done with temptation in our lives?
- Resist: The bible tells us to resist and temptation will move on.
- Ask for help: Specifically, ask Jesus to help you resist and move temptation along in his name.
- Don’t spend time: Cut down and/or eliminate time spent with temptation. When we begin to spend time with temptations, we are taking steps toward acting on it.
- Don’t act on it: Temptation isn’t the problem. Acting on temptation is. Don’t do it.
Encouragement: Remember, temptation never comes from God. We can trust him to help us in dealing with temptation successfully every time. If you stumble, ask for help and forgiveness and get back up. God will lead you.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, thank you for the truth that you never generate temptation. It is not who you are or how you work. Thank you for helping us send temptation away each and every time. Help us not to dwell in temptation, but to resist, seek help, and not spend time with it.
In your name Jesus, we pray, Amen
-Ed McDowell, Executive Director
Warm Beach Camp and Conference Center