Update on Projects – March 2012
March 12, 2012
Here is the latest news on the Camp projects currently underway:
- For a long time we have been asking for your prayers for our application for the Conditional Use Permit (CUP) from the County. Now we are asking you to join us in giving praise to God because the CUP has been granted! This opens the way for us to pursue future building permits, contains strong measures of environmental stewardship, and defines the direction of the Camp’s growth for the next 50 years. Both Camp representatives and key leaders in the surrounding community have worked diligently together to prepare a proposal that is acceptable to all parties involved. That has created a healthy framework that has built strong relationships with our neighbors, particularly the Warm Beach Stewards, and with Snohomish County officials.
- Work is progressing on the Cedar Lodge Restroom project. Except for doors, the addition is now enclosed, with most electrical and much of the plumbing work completed. The sprinkler system on the main level is also nearly done. Insulation and sheetrock will begin going in shortly, followed by tiling the floors and installing the plumbing fixtures. The women’s restroom will have ten toilet stalls and five sinks! And, besides the men’s and women’s restrooms, there will be two family restrooms. The anticipated completion of this project is around the middle of April. We want to express our appreciation for the patience shown by our guests during this period of construction and inconvenience. Our thanks also go to everyone who had a part in funding the Embracing the Vision campaign and giving to the Cedar Lodge project. And finally, we are thankful to God for His blessings and direction in making this possible.
- Plans are underway to create a new home for the Special Friends Camping program at Chinook Village. For a number of years, this facility has been underutilized, mainly being used by summer guest groups. Starting this summer, the Special Friends camps are moving to Chinook. To make this happen, we have a series of projects to complete. These include area clean-up, fencing, grading, lighting, seating, and accessibility improvements, to create a safe, welcoming environment for the Special Friends.
- False fronts are being constructed on the buildings at the Stables and signs will be painted this spring to go on the false fronts. This is going to give the Stables the ambiance of a little western town. This has been an ongoing project over several years, and it is exciting to see it about to come to completion. All the materials and labor for this project have been provided by donors and volunteers.
- A plethora of projects for this spring include installing park benches, habitat plantings to be completed in several areas, erosion control work to be done at W-Bar-B Ranch, and several buildings to paint inside and out. Help is still needed on a firewood cutting and splitting project. Several of these projects would be perfect for a church men’s group or civic club to tackle.
If you would be interested in volunteering to help with any projects, whether you have a few hours or a few days, contact Jessica Wilson at the Camp.