Jesus, My Example
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross. Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:3–11 NLT
Jesus is the example I follow. Sure, I do it imperfectly. So do you. He already knows that about us. We follow Him, none the less, becoming more like Him the longer we follow.
The Apostle Paul gives us clear guidance in following Jesus:
- Don’t be selfish
- Don’ try to impress others
- Be humble
- Think of others as better than yourselves
- Consider the interest of others
- Have the same attitude of Jesus
What a list. The last one on the list supports all of the others. Having the same attitude as Christ.
There is some specific information about Christ’s attitude that is important for us:
- He gave up equal standing – didn’t cling to it
- He gave up privilege – specifically – divine privilege
- He took the humble position of serving under another’s authority, as if a slave
- He humbled himself before God
- Died a criminal’s death on the cross
God’s response to all of this is also key:
- God elevates Jesus to the highest honor
- Jesus’ name is above any other name
- Everyone will bow to Jesus
- Every tongue will declare that Jesus Christ is Lord
- All of this is for the glory of God, the Father
This is a lot to take in. Yet, the focus is very clear. Have the same attitude as Jesus, give yourself up for the sake of others. God will take care of you and raise you up. This is the path of following Jesus.
Let’s follow Jesus’ example together. It is a contrast to what the world encourages. To follow Jesus involves spending time with Him, knowing the Word of God, and doing what it says. We need other people to encourage us who are doing the same.
Thank You for Your example of how to live. May I have the same attitude as You. Help me not to be selfish. I don’t want to live seeking the approval of others, yet, I am prone to do so. May I live with a humble spirit, prioritizing the well being of others over myself. My I trust God to take care of my well being. Please lead me in following You. You are my example.
In Your amazing name, I pray, Amen.