Update on Projects – May 2013
April 30, 2013
Here is the latest news on the Camp projects currently underway:
- The old restrooms in Lower Cedar Lodge have been dismantled in preparation for the renovation work to come. Throughout the year, we will be moving offices and storage areas around to free up the space to install a larger walk-in cooler and freezer. The space currently occupied by the freezer and cooler will eventually become additional work space and storage for the kitchen. This will vastly improve the productivity of the kitchen.
- The projects on the lawn between Cedar Lodge and Cascadian have been completed! The overhead electrical lines that ran above the lawn have been moved underground, and an underground sprinkler system has been installed. Grass has been planted and should be green by summer! Together, these projects improve the safety, aesthetics, and functionality of this area of the grounds. Our sincere thanks goes to the family who provided the funding to make this project possible.
- The native growth buffer along the property line between the pools and the Senior Community has been planted, and work along the property line above Bayview Ranch House is underway. Invasive plant growth is being removed (blackberries and ivy), and a new native plant buffer and fencing are being installed. These projects are part of the requirements of our Conditional Use Permit.
- The conversion of Chinook Village into the new home for the Special Friends Camps continues. Modifications to the restrooms are underway to accommodate wheelchairs and meet A.D.A. requirements. A medical room is being set up and equipped to allow for care of the special needs campers. Volunteers from several senior volunteer organizations are coming this month to help with the construction of a new fire circle with seating that will better accommodate those with mobility challenges. These improvements will be completed in time for the first Special Friends camp this summer.
- Some current projects include: painting the interior of Cascadian Lodge (finished), replacing the server for the Camp’s computer system (installed), power-washing and cleaning as many of our buildings, roofs, and other areas as possible (lots of progress on this with the help of some staff and wonderful volunteers), and the sprinkler system in the ball field is being repaired and both fields are being leveled for safer play.
- This summer, Cascadian Lodge will be getting a new roof to repair some leaks and preserve the building. In our climate, roofs always seem to be an issue!